Quetta: At least two people were killed and 31 others injured when a suicide bomb attack targeted a passenger bus carrying Shiite pilgrims in a Quetta suburb on Wednesday.
According to police, the attack took place in Akhtarabad on outskirts of the Balochistsan capital where a the suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into the bus, bringing at least 46 pilgrims to Quetta from Iran.
Resultantly, the bus overturned and engulfed in flames. The injured included six policemen, board in a mobile van escorting the bus.
Police and FC rushed to the blast site immediately and launched rescue activities.
According to Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS), 80-100 kilogram explosive material was used in the blast.
The injured were immediately rushed to nearby Bolan Medical Complex Hospital for medical treatment, where emergency was imposed. Several injured are said to be in critical condition and causality toll if feared to climb.
No group has claimed the responsibility for the attack so far but Lashkhar-e-Jhangvi and Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamat, two notorious anti-Shia outfits, have carried out a surge of blasts on the Shiite Muslims over the past several years.
Police said most of the passengers belong to Khyber Pakhtunkhawa province.
President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain, Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf chief Imran Khan, Awami National Party chief Asfandyar Wali and several other religious and political leaders have strongly condemned the blast.
The Majlis-e-Wahdatul Muslimeen (MWM) lashed out at government for its inability to stop the terrorist attacks in the country and announced three days of mourning.